If you experience a problem with downloading the installation
file, disable your firewall and try again. If you know how to manage
your firewall, you can only open ssl and TCP port 444.
Downloading problems may be caused because your browser is not
configured to use a transparent proxy. For instructions on configuring
a transparent proxy see Proxies
Failure to install could come from preexisting
viruses on the computer. If you are unable to install follow our
instructions on cleaning
an infected computer.
Pre-Installation Instructions for IBM and HP Laptops running
XP -- Update DLA and RecordNow drivers
On IBM Thinkpads and Hewlett-Packard
laptops running Windows XP, a conflict exists between VirusScan
Enterprise 8.0i and two system files. This conflict causes a crash
during installation of VirusScan 8.0i. For this reason, before installing
VirusScan, you need to update your existing Drive Letter Access
(DLA) and RecordNow drivers, as described below:
- Download local versions of DLA and RecordNow software (for
more updated software follow links in McAfee's site):
- Run the installer for the DLA update, then reboot. If a message
states that your DLA version is already up to date, you can skip
- After the reboot, run the installer for the RecordNow update,
then reboot again. If a message states that your RecordNow version
is already up to date, you can skip this step.
- Continue the McAfee installation: Installation
- If you've installed McAfee prior to updated the mentioned drivers,
refer to your Dept. local supporter, or to one of the support
Full description and advanced support: full
Starting the McAfee McShield service crashes
explorer.exe, freezing the computer.
Follow the instructions:
Please select an option:
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA Mode
Last Known Good Configuration
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Start Windows Normally
Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
Start your computer in Safe-Mode:
- Start up the computer and immediately press F8 on
- Choose the safe mode option
- In the start menu choose Run,
type msconfig and
|Click the Services tab and
uncheck the following items:
- Mcafee Framework Services
- Network Associates McAhield
- Network Associates Task Manager
- Restart the computer
- Download VSE
Patch 11 . Unzip it and double click setup.exe
- Load again msconfig (same
as step 2.
- Click the tab: General.
- Mark: Normal Startup..
- Click OK .
- Restart the computer.
More info in McAfee's
When updating McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.0i manually, you receive
the error message:
You will need to Re-Register the OLE32.DLL to Re-Populate the
Registry according to the following the instructions:
- Type the following command:
- Click ok
After Installation Computer Returns Common Updater Error:
The simple soultion (recommended on official support) is to download, install and regulary use a small software that improves your Windows performence.
You can download it from here(Costs about 40$ a year).
Other option (From link above, manual update):
- Start your computer and log on as an administrator.
- Click Start button then select All Programs-> Accessories-> System Tools,
and then click System Restore.
- In the new window, select Restore my computer to an earlier time option and click Next.
- Select the most recent system restore point from the On this list, click a restore point list, and then click Next.
- Click Next on the confirmation window.
- Restart the computer when the restoration is finished.